We need passionate volunteers who can contribute and help us in our youth educational work on Solomon Islands. Just let us know the skills you have and we will match them.
- Tasks & Roles
- What Else
Youth Volunteer Assistant in Solomon Islands – Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 30 – 40 hours per week, weekends free
What’s included? We provide free accommodation
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, food & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer with us & the dates you would be available
Tell us what you can do, or where you can contribute best. Our current activities are based around running the following six, three year courses.
- Automotive Technology.
- Life Skill Training (Tourism, Hospitality, Clothing & Textiles).
- Carpentry Technology.
- Computer Technology.
- Electrical Technology.
- Machine Fitting and Maintenance (MFM) Training.
Can you help with some of the following activities? We need basic support in all areas of the school including:
- Website design or information editing.
- English teaching or any sports, social work, peace building, cooking, fashion design, theatre, music, IT, photography, filming, management, human rights or any other skill you can offer.
- Your role depends on your education: Assisting us, running your own course, developing a workshop after school, joining the students during sport activities, setting up a new Curriculum, teaching English or helping with homework or cooking.
Hours & Roster
- Volunteers work Monday – Tuesday from 7:30 am to 4:00pm. A Laptop and formal dress is needed.
Sleeping: You will be living in a very secure surrounding (guarded), in our staff house right on the school compound and only 500 meters away from the sea. The staff house is well equipped (kitchen, hot shower, fan, tables, bed etc.) and you will be living with our local team. The school is just 20 kilometres outside of the town and right next to a market that provides you with all you need. The Market and a Bus stop are just a 2 min walk away.
Linen & Laundry: Please bring your own linen, towels and sleeping bag. Laundry facilities will be available.
Eating: Free meals are not possible as our funding is limited. Food stalls are just a short walk away. A market is close by. During the school breaks there’s a small shop where local people sell rice and lunch snacks. In the evening you can cook your own meal in your well-equipped room. You only have to cover the electricity bill yourself.
Transport: Solomon Airlines fly from Sydney and Brisbane. Virgin Australia flies in from Brisbane. Other connections are via Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu. Once you arrive at the airport, we will pick you up. It is only a two minutes ride to our school and your new home. Australia return flights from 400 Australian Dollar, Europe return flights from 1100 Euro & Asia return flights from 480 Euro.
Amenities & Preferences
- 8 positions available.
- Age preference 18+. We’d love to hear from older volunteers also.
- Additional Benefits: You will learn about cultural diversity, the history of the Solomon Islands, the local language and a lot about the Salesian order and hospitality.