Volunteer Peru (Teach English Program or Dog Shelter Project). We are looking for volunteers who would like to have a rewarding and exciting experience in Peru.
Volunteering in Trujillo, Perú
Volunteer Peru and Join our Teach English Program or Dog Shelter Project. Trujillo is waiting for you.
- Teaching English Program: This volunteer position is appropriate for those who are new to teaching English and need support and training to plan their lessons, as well as those with more teaching experience. In return for your invaluable participation.
- Dog Shelter Project: This volunteer position is appropriate for those who love animals specially dogs, you don’t need experience, main activities include feeding them, taking them for a walk on the beach and playing with them.
Peru Vivential will provide many activities to our volunteers. We are looking for volunteers who would like to have a rewarding and exciting experience. For a small fee, the program provides volunteers with housing, weekend excursions, weekly salsa classes, and 2 private (1-3 people) Spanish classes each week.
We are a non-profit organization with a vision to improve the quality of education in our community, and to create opportunities for disadvantaged children through supporting free English classes in public schools.
Volunteer Peru – Help Required
- Animal care
We are a non-profit organization with a vision to improve the quality of education in our community, and to create opportunities for disadvantaged children through supporting free English classes in public schools. English serves as the primary means of advancement for most children, teenagers, and adults in the community as it provides them with a channel to escape poverty through several career paths such as tourism (guides), teaching abroad, general communications opportunities, etc. As English is not taught in public schools, our initiative provides students with a chance at advancement they would otherwise not have access to.
As a volunteer you will help: Lead the English classes together with another volunteer. At present, the general level of English of our learners across all schools and settings is basic, and it is important that volunteers are prepared to teach students or learners who will more than likely be at a beginner level. Generally, volunteers will work with classes four twice a week between 2 or 4 hours per day however this estimate can fluctuate. Lessons last on average 45 minutes, but can sometimes be shortened or extended depending on the schools and extracurricular student activities. The class teacher will usually be there in the classroom with you but normally not participating. Depending on which class you teach the assistance you will receive from the teacher will vary.
Specific tasks include a combination of the activities listed below:
- Giving English lessons to children (sometimes there is also a demand for Arts or Sports classes).
- Bringing new ideas to improve the HELP English project.
- Preparing lesson plans or even a syllabus/study program for your subject, considering what’s been done in the past and what can be improved now.
- Guaranteeing that all the materials used during each session are stored and put back into place afterwards.
The school is open most of the year (from March to mid-December). Volunteers should bet there from Monday to Friday – in the morning (8am until 1pm and 1pm until 6pm). However, this time-frame may vary according to the subject(s) you will be teaching. Do not forget you’ll need some time for planning activities and attending volunteer meetings.
Sleeping & Eating: We provide shared accommodation. You will need to make your own food and dietary arrangements. Food costs are your own responsibility. We can advise on best places to eat.
Volunteer Peru – Amenities & Preferences
- Age 18+ on arrival.
- Basic to Intermediate Spanish level when you start working – we can arrange Spanish courses for you to start on arrival, which can boost your Spanish before you start volunteering.
- Minimum commitment: normally 4 weeks – could be less in exceptional circumstances or for exceptional candidate.
- Empathetic, responsible, pro-active and strong enough personality to deal with unexpected situations and ask for help when necessary.
- Relevant skills in English, Arts/Crafts or Sports.
- Some experience teaching or working with children in some way.
- Good team player.
- Own travel insurance recommended.
- Ability and/or confidence to deal with streetwise children.
- We provide our volunteers with a rewarding experience learning about Peruvian culture while living with volunteers from around the world. We transcend cultural barriers by promoting an appreciation of other cultures, respect for different norms, long-lasting friendships and appreciation for different ways of living– all of which create an improved learning environment.