We are looking for native and near-native English speakers to work in public schools throughout Chile. Our program is supported by the Chilean Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Program.
- Tasks & Roles
- What Else
Our program is supported by the Chilean Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Programme – Chile. The Program is a national initiative that was created in 2003 to help support the improvement of English language learning and teaching in the Chilean public school system.
Teach English in Chile – Quick Checks
Next available dates: March 21 – July 31, 2016 / April 4 – Nov. 26, 2016 / April 18 – Nov. 26, 2016 / August 1 – Nov. 27, 2016
Stay duration: One semester and year-long services are available
Places available: Currently accepting applications
Hours & roster: 35 hours a week
What’s included? Free week-long TEFL training for the Chilean context, online Spanish course, volunteer stipend, accommodations and meals with a host family, in country health insurance & more!
What’s NOT included? International travel to Chile
Volunteers teach independent classes under the supervision of a Chilean head teacher in public schools. Volunteers are placed all throughout Chile, and work with
students ranging from 5th grade (10-11 years old) to 12th grade (17-18 years old). The volunteer’s main responsibilities are:
- Motivate students to learn English.
- Help students improve their speaking and listening skills.
- Share own culture with students, thus broadening their worldview.
- Spend 24 pedagogical hours a week in the classroom, and another 11 hours each week leading an extra curricular activity and lesson planning. Each volunteer has the flexibility to determine what specific extracurricular activity they’d like to lead with their students.
- Participate in English Camps, Public Speaking and Spelling Bee activities, and other initiatives of the English Opens Doors Program.
- 2016 applications are now open.
- Next available dates: March 21 – July 31, 2016 / April 4 – Nov. 26, 2016 / April 18 – Nov. 26, 2016 / August 1 – Nov. 27, 2016.
- One semester and year-long services are available.
- TEFL training specific to the volunteer context during a week-long orientation (food and accommodations provided).
- Online Spanish course.
- A volunteer allowance of $70.000 CLP per 30 days served to reimburse local transportation or other costs related to teaching.
- Accommodations and meals with a host family.
- In-country health insurance.
- Pre-departure information and support.
- Airport transfers to accommodations upon arrival for volunteers who arrive on designated dates.
- Assistance registering the visa and obtaining a Chilean I.D. card and basic bank account.
- Round-trip transportation from Santiago to the regional placement site.
- In-country support from the National Volunteer Center as well as the Regional English Representative.
- Important: We do not charge volunteers a fee for participation. In addition, temporary residence visa fees are waived for volunteers.
- Be a native or near-native English speaker.
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and be between 21 and 35 years old.
- Applicants over the age of 35 are encouraged to apply and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Be mentally and physically capable of teaching children.
- Be willing to dedicate their energy and time to teaching, and making students their priority.
- Have an interest in Chilean culture and a desire to live in Chile.
- Be highly committed, responsible, and flexible.
- Have access to sufficient funds to cover personal expenditures throughout the duration of the program.
- Assume the associated costs (transportation to consulate, cost of obtaining documents) of obtaining a Temporary Residence Visa before arriving in Chile. Direct visa fees from the consulate will be waived.
- Assume the cost of international transportation to Santiago according to the program start date.