Be a Preschool & Child Centre Volunteer in Zimbabwe. We’re looking for volunteers to give us a hand in our preschool and child support centre. The centre supports the less privileged children in our Township. It will be your role as a volunteer on this project to support the staff by engaging the children in educational and recreational activities.
Be a Preschool & Child Centre Volunteer in Zimbabwe – Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 30 hours a week, weekends free
What’s the cost? We ask for US $20/day which covers accommodation, meals, in-country preparation/orientation, project placement, supervision, certification & admin costs.
Additional optional fee: USD $50 each way to cover airport pickup/dropout
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa, pocket money, internal transportation, travel insurance, safaris
Selection process: Message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer with us & the dates you would be available
Tasks & Roles
We will provide you with personal development and an in-depth experience of another country. You are advised to come prepared, show initiative, and be self-motivated. You will be helping in the following two areas:
- Assisting teachers during their activities with the children.
- Helping the children with class activities.
- Teaching Basic English vocabulary.
- Taking care of the children during playtime
- Helping serve food and drinks during break times.
- Helping out in the kitchen.
- Helping with other activities such as maintaining the garden, painting, and preparing teaching material
Child Support Care Assisting: You will support the staff by engaging the children in educational and recreational activities. Volunteers are encouraged to gear their activities towards education and using English as well as helping the children with homework and any other fun and useful activities.
- Teaching English and helping with school homework.
- Engaging with the children and being a role model.
- Leading recreational activities.
- Assisting with the upkeep of the home and any other help required.
- Sleeping: Volunteers usually stay with the host family. Andrew is part of the host family and is experienced with international volunteers. You will get a single room or share a room with another volunteer.
- Linen & Laundry: Please bring linen and towels. Laundry facilities available.
- Eating: All meals will be covered. Most of our meals are vegetarian, including banana, potatoes, rice, and beans. On occasion, we may provide traditional dishes.
- Transport: Volunteers can be met (USD $50/each way) in Harare International Airport in Zimbabwe by Andrew. Candle Light Preschool is located at 258 Devonshire, Sakubva, Mutare which is located about 300km away from Harare International Airport and it takes about 4 hours travel by road.
- Visa Process: The volunteers are expected to organize their own visas and are fully responsible for attaining the correct visa. Correct visa information can be found online. Most nationalities can get a visa on arrival at Harare International Airport and we recommend a Holiday Visa for a stay of up to 90 days. We encourage volunteer to visit safaris and tourist places during their weekends as part of their stay as a volunteer in Zimbabwe.
- Work Permits: Those volunteers who want to stay for a longer period should apply for a work permit before arrival in Zimbabwe.
- We can accommodate up to 6 volunteers at any one time.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- 18 + age preference. Single travellers, two friends, couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Safari Bookings: Volunteers who want to go on safari during their stay in Zimbabwe will receive a decent discount through our affiliation partner.
- Program fee breakdown is as follows: USD $10/day covers accommodation and food. USD $5 covers in country supervision and administration & USD $5 covers the Preschool Child Care Support Program.