Want to try Meditation Centre Kitchen Helping in Canada? We’d love to hear from an experienced and creative whole foods oriented professional volunteer to lead our kitchen team of volunteers. You will be responsible for all aspects of the kitchen, from menu planning and staffing to ordering, cooking and serving 3 nourishing buffet-style meals daily.
Creative Foodie Professional in Canada – Quick Checks
Hours & Roster: 40 + hours a week
What’s included? Free accommodation & all meals
What’s Not Included? Flights, visa & volunteer travel insurance
Selection process: Message me about yourself, relevant experience, attach your resume, why you’d like to volunteer & the dates you would be available
Meditation Centre Kitchen Helping – Help Required
You will be responsible for all aspects of the kitchen, from menu planning and staffing to ordering, cooking and serving 3 nourishing buffet-style meals daily. Our food which is mostly organic and grown onsite or as local as possible. We pride ourselves on being able to integrate our garden into our meals and to support our neighbours and local growers.
- Oversee the harmonious operation of our kitchen.
- Provide wholesome, nutritionally balanced buffet-style (fixed menu) breakfasts, lunches and dinners for up to 30 people (depending on the season).
- Create 10-day menu cycles that are seasonally responsive and that incorporate produce from our garden and orchards as well as from local growers.
- Manage food costs and oversee ordering and inventories.
- Train and oversee volunteers in the kitchen.
- Work with managers to review budgets and expenditure, coordinate staffing schedules and the integration of the kitchen into the overall functioning of our center.
Job Details & Desired Qualifications:
- Demonstrated skills.
- Kitchen management experience, preferably with culinary training.
- At least one year cooking experience providing buffet-style meals in camps, lodges or retreat centres.
- Menu development for wholesome, nutritionally balanced meals.
- Adaptability to work with seasonal foods and what is grown onsite and locally, excellent management and interpersonal skills.
- Food Safe Level 1 certified.
- Self-disciplined with a sincere desire to provide excellent service.
- Organized and able to create a positive, motivated workplace and to work effectively in an innovative and multi-tasked environment.
Hours & Roster
- 40 hours a week.
- This is a minimum six month contract with a one month trial. We offer a supportive and challenging workplace where communication and personal growth are highly valued.
Sleeping: We can offer you comfortable lodge accommodation with own room.
Linen & Laundry: We provide all bedding, pillows and towels. Laundry facilities are available.
Eating: Free meals. Our wholesome meals incorporate many organic and local ingredients and are based on a balanced omnivore diet. All attempts will be made to accommodate any serious food allergy or sensitivity.
Flying: We can pick you up from the Canadian Rockies International Airport which has regular flights from Vancouver, Calgary, and Kelowna and some direct flights from Victoria.
Driving: We are 10 minutes from the BC-93 S Highway and 20 minutes from Fort Steele along the Wardner-Fort Steele Road.
Meditation Centre Kitchen Helping – Amenities & Preferences
- 1 volunteer position available.
- An interest in and participation in mindfulness and awakening in community are required.
- Our optional wireless Internet provides the choice to enjoy the benefits of online access or unplug and reconnect with nature and each other.