We are Canadians who live in the Kingdom of Tonga in the beautiful South Pacific. We are looking for volunteers to help complete the building of our home.
- Tasks & Roles
- What Else
We have done all of the work so far ourselves. We have built the shell of our home and now we would like help in finishing the construction of windows, doors, bathroom, cabinets and closets. Barry is finding he is being pulled in a 1000 different directions.
We need someone who has experience in carpentry and finishing work. Someone who could get a little direction from us and then work independently or with our assistance. Also if time permits, we will require help with setting up a vegetable garden, orchards, landscaping and fencing. However for now, our main focus will be to finish the house first.
Next available dates: Immediately
Stay duration: Preferably one month or longer.
Places available: 2 volunteers
Hours & Roster: 4/5 hours a day
What’s included? Free accommodation and all meals.
What’s Not Included? Flights, internal transport, travel health insurance, pocket money, visa
Selection process: Email message chat before agreeing stay
We need help with the following tasks and would love to hear from an experienced builder or carpenter:
- Finishing construction of windows, screens, doors, bathroom, cabinets and closets.
- Painting inside and out.
- Some plumbing and electrical work (if qualified).
- Furniture building.
- Setting up a vegetable garden, orchards, landscaping and fencing.
Hours & Roster
- Approx. 4-5 hours a day with weekends off.
- Preferably one month or longer.
- Email message conversation before agreeing stay.
Sleeping: You will live in a large tent, set up like a very small private home with bed, chair, table, etc. You will share our bathroom and kitchen facilities. We have internet connectivity, solar power and a generator. We will provide all of your basic needs.
Linen & Laundry: We provide all linen. We have laundry facilities available on site.
Eating: 3 meals a day, prepared by us or by volunteer if desired.
Transport: You can get direct flights from many countries including New Zealand, Australia and Fiji. Once you arrive in Tonga, we will arrange to pick you up at the airport and take you by boat out to our home. Once we have agreed on working with each other, we would be happy to help you with assistance to ensure that your trip here is easy and convenient.
Amenities & Preferences
- One perhaps 2 volunteers required. Maybe a husband and wife.
- Given the nature of work, we would prefer males over the age of 25, with experience in carpentry and building.
- Experience and learn off-grid and self-reliant living.
- Free Wi-Fi available.
- Things to see and do: Hiking, Kayaking, Snorkelling, Whale Watching, Diving, Fishing, Kart Safaris, Tongan Feasts and Botanical Gardens.