We need volunteers to come and help us out. We are a registered non-profit organization in the Philippines focused on the reconstruction phase of disaster relief on Bantayan Island, one of the regions hit hardest by Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda).
- Tasks & Roles
- What Else
We are currently running six programmes during the reconstruction phase: a housing programme, a school rehabilitation programme, a water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programme, a community outreach programme, a joint medical mission programme and an emergency response programme.
In the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, it became clear that the local community lacks the necessary training and understanding of proper disaster risk reduction, preparedness, early detection and communication. We are working to address these areas through training programmes, hazard mapping and data sharing along with encouraging local government to make life-saving information quickly and readily available to their communities.
Stay duration: Preferred stay length is 4 weeks plus.
Places available: 20 volunteers
Hours & Roster: 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with 2 days free
What’s included? Shared dorm with all meals except on Sundays
What’s Not Included? Flights, internal transport, travel health insurance, pocket money, visa
We need volunteers who are:
- Self-motivating and goal-oriented.
- Open-minded, responsible and trustworthy.
We are looking for volunteers with experience or a willingness to contribute in some of the following areas:
- Social media, web development and/or design.
- Photography and/or video editing.
- Grant writing, business development and/or book-keeping.
- Data management.
- Community liaison (Community outreach).
Hours & Roster
- We work 8 hours a day Mondays to Fridays from 8am to 5pm with a one hour lunch break.
- Preferred stay length is 4 weeks plus.
- Online application, message chat before agreeing stay.
- Contact us.
Sleeping: All volunteers stay at our basecamp for free. Depending on the number of volunteers, two people share one room or sleep in tents.
Linen & Laundry: Based linen and towels are supplied. You will need to look after your own laundry.
Eating: We prepares 3 meals a day 6 days a week. On Sundays each volunteer has to provide their own food.
Transport: Our volunteers arrive on their own. The easiest way is to fly to Cebu (Mactan International Airport) and then take a taxi from the airport to the North Terminal bus station. From there, buses drive to Hagnaya Port where the ferry trip to Santa Fe, Bantayan Island starts. For the journey from the port in Santa Fe to the basecamp, tricycles are available.
Amenities & Preferences
- Accommodate up to 20 helpers at any one time.
- You must be over 18.
- Male and female helpers accepted.
- Single travellers, two friends and Couples are welcomed and accommodated.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Project Management: Volunteers can expect to receive valuable training in project management as well as insight into how non-profit organisations function.
- Other activities: There is a lively tourism industry on Bantayan Island so there are many activities for volunteers to partake on the weekends. Lots of local restaurants and bars to utilize during free time. We are located on a private beach.